Passport for a Child/Minor
The US Department of State requires the full names of the applicant’s parent(s) to be listed on all certified birth certificates to be considered as primary evidence of US citizenship for all passport applicants, regardless of age. Certified birth certificates missing this information will not be acceptable as evidence of citizenship. This is commonly referred to as the “Long Form Birth Certificate”.
A certified birth certificate has a registrar’s raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Please note, short (abstract) versions of birth certificates are not acceptable for passport purposes.
- One completed pre-application for a new passport. The application can be completed by following this link.
- After receiving a new application from us do not sign it. You will sign later at the instruction of the Passport Agency Deputy
- Two passport type photos. We recommend that you have these pictures taken by a facility familiar with passport photo requirements such as Walgreen’s, CVS, etc.
- Two signed Letters of Authorization for “IRATEX Passport & Visa” to collect the passport on your behalf. The release letter must be signed in BLUE INK and dated by the applicant. Please check the first two boxes and put IRATEX PASSPORT & VISA as Courier Company Name.
- Each parent or guardian will be required to be present and show a valid driver’s license with photo (must be issued greater than 6 months ago). Make sure the acceptance agent makes a copy and notes on the DS-11 that you presented your ID. If a driver’s license is not available you need to supply alternate proof of identity.
- If only one parent can appear, the parent making the appearance must submit the second parent’s written, signed, and notarized Statement of Consent Parental Consent form 2016 along with a copy of the front and back of Drivers License or Passport.
- Proof of US citizenship which may be one of the following:
- Original US issued birth certificate
- Original US Naturalization Document
- An expired US passport that was issued for 10 years
All of the above must be taken in person to an authorized Passport Acceptance Agent. For a list of a Passport Acceptance Facilities near you click here.
When applying with the Acceptance agent, make a copy of every document to be sealed in envelope by the Acceptance Agent. Place the copies into the overnight envelope shipped to us along with the envelope sealed by the Acceptance Agent. If not in this order the documents will be returned at your expense and can cause delays.
Please note that the Passport Agency Deputy is required to charge an execution fee of $25.00 and should be paid separately from the Passport Agency fees
The Passport Acceptance Agent Deputy will collect all of the above documents and place them into an envelope that will be sealed by the Deputy. Do not open this envelope once sealed as it will void your application. Inform the clerk you will forward the sealed envelope to a private service for processing.
Forward all of the above, along with the Iratex Release Form and Statement of Consent (download in sidebar) to Iratex for processing.