Visa Requirements

US Citizens

US citizens do not need a visa for tourist or business travel to this country, but a valid US Passport is required.

Any US citizen who wishes to travel to Mexico for any purpose other than tourism or business negotiations (e.g. work, study, adoption, immigration, or stays longer than stipulated in the entry requirements) should contact our office.

Tourist and Short Business Stays

The nationalities listed below traveling to Mexico as tourists or on business for short stays, just have to obtain a tourist card (180 days) or an FMN (up to 30 days) at the port of entry or from the airline.

Canadian and US citizens must submit proof of citizenship, such as birth certificate, (some airlines will require a birth certificate with a “raised seal” to make sure it is a certified copy), valid passport, naturalization certificate, as well as a valid picture id card. Business travelers must carry with them a letter from their company stating the purpose of their business visit and who will defray expenses.

The following nationalities do not require a previous authorization from Mexico City:

Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bermuda, Chile, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Norway, Republic of Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Uruguay, and all US permanent residents regardless of their nationality.

Note: applicants from the above mentioned countries, except United States and Canadian citizens, must submit a valid passport and, if it is the case, their legal permanent residence card.


All nationalities are required to obtain an FM-3 to conduct business in Mexico. The FM-3 is appropriate for those people attending business meetings, signing documents, promotion of products, buying land in Mexico, specialized technician, adoption of Mexican minors, etc.

  1. A valid, signed US passport. The passport must have at least 1 year remaining after the completion of your stay in Mexico, and contain at least one blank visa page.
  2. Fully completed and signed Mexico Visa Application
  3. A business letter of introduction and financial responsibility is required to be typed on your company letterhead and addressed to: Embassy of ______, Visa Section, Washington, DC. This letter must be signed by a company officer other than the traveler, and should:
    1. state the nature of business to be performed;
    2. include the name and address of the company to be visited;
    3. guarantee sufficient financial support during visit; and
    4. guarantee return transportation to the US for the applicant.
  4. If you are a technician, a copy of the contract you have with the Mexican company.
  5. Two (2) passport photographs in color, front view, no glasses
  6. For technical business a letter from the Mexican company stating it is legally incorporated and also stating the specific activity to be performed by the applicant. This can be faxed.

Contract Service or Technical Work

A letter of invitation from the company in Mexico stating the purpose of the trip and exactly what you will be doing while there.

Non-US Citizens

Non-US Citizens must have a valid US visa with the Original I-94 card or a copy of Green Card (See additional information below)


Business Document$93.00
Technical Business$141.00
Household Visa$128.00
Additional for Some nationalities$34.00

Visa Information

Business and technician documents are valid for 365 days, multiple entries. The FM-3 is intended only for short periods of stay and not for establishing residence in Mexico. When an FM-3 is issued, the Mexican Immigration authorities at the port of entry must stamp it, within 90 days from the date of issue. If it is not stamped, it becomes void.

As of September 11, 2001, an “approval” is required for citizens of the following countries. These countries are required to obtain a visa to Mexico for tourist travel and business travel if they have a multiple entry visa for the USA. Permanent residents do not require this approval any longer.

Afghanistan, Angola, Albania, Aparjita, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bosnia, Congo, North Korea, Croatia, Estonia, Russia, Georgia, Haiti, Hong Kong, India, Iraq, Iran, Jordan, Cambodia, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Liberia, Lybia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Moldovia, Mongolia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Suriname, Syria, Somalia, Sri-Lanka, Turkmenistan, Turkey, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yugoslavia, Saudi Arabia, Algeria, Egypt, United Arab Emirates, Morocco, Mauritania, Oman, Qatar, Sudan, Tunisia, Yemen and all stateless persons.